Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Just the thing (Updated)**

"I write to understand my circumstances, to sort out the confusion of reality, to exorcise my demons." - Isabel Allende

Just the thing*

In the muddle of my confinement
There is no other, no voice
Other than mine
Without translator
The voice remains
Lost
Until
I tap a vein
Pick at the strand
Turn the thing
Over
And write.

* A poem written earlier today, as a comment, on Terri Windling's  post 'It Begins with Noticing' on her blog Myth & Moor

The wind has us stirred up. Before walking out to open the gate I stood for long minutes to notice. The long stretch of Red Alder across the road stand as they have all winter with their bare limbs crowned with the hint of color. Different they are from the Douglas Fir that rise ever green, ever taller in their points. 

From the south or from the north the wind rocks.

While Pete slept I stood to ... to will my wind-tossed mind, the thoughts of tethered confinement, to find ground. 

Could do this. Could do that. Could do nothing. Could keep standing. Could keep looking. Instead, I pull my red flannel robe from its hook, add my sweatshirt, pull the hood snug against my ears and take one step. I chose the Rogue leather shoes rather than the red rubbers and slip bare feet inside. Less steady in the low cut shoes I slow my gait and steady my foot fall to get over the rutted tracks left by cars.

The puddles that turned to ponds during the heavy rains occupy less space this morning. I stop and watch for the flow of water that has run across the gravel road all month-long. The flow is lessened. I step over lean drain and by this time the big winged bird above me --Raven or Eagle, I couldn't tell-- had joined his partner flying over those points of Douglas Fir.


February is filled with the watery essence of Pisces. (A huge stellium in the heavens)

"... You can’t work at this. You can’t focus harder – but softer. You can’t get tensed up or it chokes off the flow. Relax. Slip this all into your mind then let it go to work under your own radar, away from your own conscious mind. Paying attention is not helpful. But hearing it up front can help you notice when things are flowing – and relax further when they do.
That’s your job this week. Staying warmed up without working at. Leaving the gates open and not being overly concerned over what comes and goes. Just notice when it does..." - Satori
So the astrological advice of "You can't focus harder -- but softer" is something. It is just the thing, probably. We are at the edge of seasonal change when there is a promise but you know how promises mean different things to different people. Time, quality and quantity being only three of the multiple variables. What we, Pete and I, know is coming has to do with accommodating the shifting use of the spaces we share with our community here on the Prairie Front. Soon the kitchen will be used for Sunday Farmers' Market; we will need to realign ourselves and re-purpose the sheltered shape.

We have begun considering how to do that. Ironically or magically walking out to open the simple gate is what could be done today. Writing my way through the confinement of my thinking? It's just the thing.



What is the seasonal change like for you? We'd love to hear about.

xo Moki and Pete

** The update worth considering is (read) "This Special Time Ahead of the Full Moon in Virgo"
(tomorrow, March 1st-2nd depending upon your location).


The photos above are mine, taken today on the Prairie Front save for the photograph of wind surfers/kite boarders which was taken by our friend Teri through the windows of her West Beach cottage. Mahalo Tita Wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment