Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Improvisational Life: "Riffing"

"... I judged what I had played (as wrong). Miles (Davis) didn't." - Herbie Hancock
If I could redo parts of my life, I would.

Which parts would that be?

Well to start, I'd sit on that old piano bench and let Ma teach me to play the piano.

In my young memory, and those that I have hoarded until now, it was my mother's impatience that turned me off to being taught . Maybe that was true. But, it's also more than possible I was the impatient one and rather than staying put I moved on; with little faith in making music part of my magic that gift would pass to my son, instead. His music is with the strings, and his voice, but I have a vivid memory of him sitting with his Tutu Lady on a piano bench.



I chewed up that judgment and impatience and swallowed it down, down, down. Fortunately, time has been kind to me and I have opportunities to improvise with that old chord. If you follow the link embedded in "Herbie Hancock"   you'll find a wonderful thread of conversation, social media-style. One of the magnificent examples of what those platforms can offer in the world of communication because someone began riffing, tinkering with the mathematical formulas that turns x's and o's (or is it pluses and minuses?) ON or OFF. I'm slow and infrequent in my use of social media, but a rabid blogger and a grateful benefactress because some of my friends play the broad social media game.

The video my friend Steve shared on Facebook is turning switches on for me. I feel my internal train- works switching tracks. Applying the principles and examples of music in my life Faith has a place in my life. I wait. I sit on the bench. I play with situations that come up, and see how to use Beginner's Mind (or call it what you wish) to tinker.

Years ago I began a writing practice using the books of Julia Cameron, starting with her classic The Artist's Way.  I filled dozens of wide-ruled notebooks with long hand written Morning Pages, three-pages at a time. I took myself on weekly Artist's Dates and began consciously including a long walk to complete the Cameron committment to creativity. The practice works, just as I learned while I was in the rooms of Al-Anon, if you work it.

Cameron's influence, along with Natalie Goldberg's Wild Mind helped me develop my writing practice and years of blogging, dozens of medicine stories, and a live storytelling venue have grown from that investment though I don't consistently write three hand-written pages first thing every morning. But, as a gift to me, and my North Node in Taurus, I began the full deal practice again on September 1st. I'm investing in my inner resources, remember to build my self-esteem from the inside rather than looking outside for that energy.

This post is a expression of my Culture of Gratitude. Yes, it is important to be grateful for the gifts that come unbidden. Like the presents of Hawk, Pueo, Raven, Gravenstein apples and Walnuts, Swallows and Hens, Clouds, Stars, Sun, Moon and Wind there is abundance if I just start with them before noting the lacks and the losses. And, to Steve and JT, a big mahalo for the gifts you offered in "stretching the envelope" ahead of the curve and before I knew how big and long-lasting they would prove to be. Today is a great day to sit on the bench and improvise a good life with what comes up.

Mahalo nui!
Mokihana








No comments:

Post a Comment