Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Couple

The Couple
Yvonne Mokihana Calizar

Fever built
slowly, but steadily
Within
Winds ripped
quickly, and steadily
Why here
Why now?

Sleep did come
welcomed
On a rocking
set of wheels
Would I,
Could we,
Become seasoned?

The dreams
did not assuage
the fever lingered
Dialogue
Let me get at
some sort of
Meaning.

Once up, dressed
Save for my new
Red Rubber Boots
I stood upon the steps barefoot
and heard
One.
Then watched the other



Overhead and close
Enough to thrill
The life back
Into me
Black swooping
wings and a chevron
Tailfeather

The resident
Native Wind People
The Couple
Came to check:
"So you're still standing 
and breathing beginning
another journey without
regret
Forever, being your own
unpeaceable kingdom." *


The poem is mine, written full flood and unedited on a pre-Thanksgiving morning in the kitchen while trucks and vans and other wheeled vehicles race somewhere too fast. The concluding quote I borrow from David Wagoner thanks to Terri Windling's blog post on Myth & Moor.




2 comments:

  1. Love your boots. When I see you next, perhaps I will wear my bright pink ones and we can prove that age is no boundary for fun! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Pete, and the sage winged couple. xxoo elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E what colorful fun we will have, dear pal!! Thank you for dropping in with Happy Thanksgiving greetings back to you and the Alameda women in your life. Aloha nui!!

      Delete