Monday, November 27, 2017

Rising like mist

View in Full Screen to spot Sparrow

I have an affinity for Sparrows. Yes, I capitalize their names and I've shooed them off my cooking table, scolded them when they've been into food untended. These flyweight wing people are our every day company here on the Prairie Front. They maintain territory separate and distinct from the Chickadees and they're adamant about me keeping a respectful distance if I walk too close to their ground cover housing.

When we count the time that records the way we have lived with our attention regularly observant of moon and sun, wind and bird presence, and the tenacity of Dandelion it makes for a community rich with things to say. Last night the bright light shining through the well-born flannel sheet serving us as curtain surprised me awake. After a weekend of one rain squall after another I didn't expect Mahina the Moon to be so clearly there. Like an excited girl with a favorite hobby, that 8 year old pinched me, "Yes, you can get up and put this down!" Rolling out of bed I found my sketch pad/ kilo pad where I write observations down. Pete keeps a Chinese coin on the wheel well for drawing a circle so we can fill in the shape of the moon phase, the illumination, the po, we see. She was beautifully clear and a perfect 'half-half' illuminated on the bottom. I filled in the shape with my pencil then stepped outside in my night shirt and red rubber boots. It was chilly, but oh so deliciously enlivening. Clouds and stars, including Makali'i the Pleiades were out as well.

This morning I watched a distinct band of mist rise from the field behind us, the same field where rainbows also like to rise when the conditions are just right.

We have been blessed with a place to expand our lives and experiences as mauliauhonua ones intimate with the place(s) we live. In no small way this chronic condition of intimacy is fed by the illness that is called Environmental Illness, or MCS. Intimate with the place we live when one or more symptoms of the illness rise like mist I take a lesson from nature and notice what else is going on. Turning symptoms into art; sharing observations as if they mattered; inviting perspectives that change the way life is lived. 

Click here to see the many things I kilo (noticed) from the Prairie Front today. What's happening in your world? Let us know in the comments, or email we'd love to compare notes:)

xoxo Moki and Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment