Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Something We need to Do: Take back our right to breathe deeply

 Day Three: Sunday, February 17, 2019
Pictures taken from 2812 Thompson Road Langley, WA 98260
This weekend our neighbor, Les Gabelein, began burning the slash from logging on his property.

Pete called 911 yesterday. On Saturday morning, after we'd left our vardo to escape the smoke, Pete stopped in at the Fire Department in Freeland. He spoke with the dispatcher to report the problem. The dispatcher was about to leave (shift change) but she was aware of the burn (had seen it, too?) and said she would report the issue to the police. Did she do that? We're not sure

Back to yesterday (Monday, 2/18/19) An official called him and left a message that said in essence:He drove to the site. The burn is permitted. There is nothing be can do. He suggested talking to a state agency for environmental health/clean air, and the Planning Department in Coopeville, Washington.

The fire continues, and the smoke is still a hazard to my health.




 Day Four: Monday, February 18, 2019

The photos here above and below this description were taken up close on Monday morning. I was on Country Lane which led to the site of the slash burn, off of Bayview Road heading into Langley.
  Day Four: Monday, February 18, 2019

On my way to the burn a car was headed toward me. I stopped and asked the driver, "Is that your fire?" The driver said, "It's my brother's." This woman is Peggy Johnson, the sister of the man who is burning. Les Gabelein.

I drove up to the site of the burning, and introduced myself.

"Are you Les Gabelien?" I asked. The man extended his hand, and said he was.

I told him my name and told him why I was masked, and why I was here. I am a neighbor, and have chronic lung and breathing problems. Your burn is shortening my life. There was no sign Les Gabelein was going to stop. He was running out of time to get this cleared so he could put in more crops. My effort to see the face of the person who operated with no regard for his neighbors was something I needed to do.

The issue of burning and smoke is not new, to either Peggy Johnson, the neighbors around this permitted outdoor fire and Pete and myself. The issue is no one has protested loud enough or in effective ways to change these regulations and take back our right to breathe.


The fight to regain the right to breathe, and change the regulations that allow outdoor burning to go on as they have is just beginning for me and Pete. We are in the process of moving from this Tilth Land, and the slash burning episode is adding (pun unexpected) fuel to the fire.



These two pictures were taken from Thompson Road (which runs perpendicular to Highway 525).

 Day Five, Tuesday 8:32 AM, February 19, 2019



The right to breathe and the fight to change the laws that deny us that right are as much a part of loving the Earth and all the People who live on her. More will be revealed here, or somewhere, as Pete and I do this life one day at a time. Pete has contacted the Air Quality Center Northwest.  so that is part of what we can do to be active in the change. That contact, 'Scott',  has just responded to Pete, and wants pictures. So that is what I'll do; send 'Scott' a link to this post.

We've posted to Drewslit this message "Vardo for Two Seeks New Home" have meeting with a friend who might be a next step in our search for a new home place. I'm finishing this post at the library keyboard.

The air filters are on "High" in both the vardo and the bathroom and we try to keep a civil thread of decency between us as we need to do to keep breathing.

Help us spread the words both about seeking place, and the right to breathe.

E Ola Mau! To Live Ungoing! This is what People Indigenous Now means in the present world. Want to be part of the P.I.N.? Check that growing intention here.

Mahalo nui,
Mokihana and Pete


No comments:

Post a Comment