Monday, January 7, 2019

The language of moving

"Standard English has just one word for feelings of longing for a particular place: 'homesick.' The word implies a polarity: you are at home or away, and suggests the simple solution of going home; it carries no sense of the process of adapting to a new place or of mixed or complex feelings. " - Alex Klaushofer

"We don't move from one phase of life to another as easily and clearly as stepping through a door; there is a time of transition, a liminal space between there and here to be moved through as we re-form into the person who is going to live in this new place. The length of time is different for each move, but the one thing I've learned after all these years is that the mythic journey through the threshold of change is shorter, gentler, and less overwhelming if we remain aware of the transitional process, and accept it. Better still, respect it." - Terri Windling


The New Moon felt like being hung-over after a binge. It's been a long long time since I've drank or drugged myself into being hung-over, but that doesn't mean emotions and binging on the realities of life don't leave an old woman without an after effect.

We have a move to make. Soon is a good enough answer to when. The transition is not easy but it is in the process. I'm awake, fed on nourishing herbal infusion (Comfrey this morning) and a bowl of oatmeal and nettles simmered and topped with a new-to-me apple named Jazz (and it is justly named ... wow!) Yesterday was the New Moon and all I could do was slog and sleep. We made it into town to find fresh stuff for a dinner, came home chopped and arranged a simple one dish cook-in-the-oven meal; then ate it.

Slept for seven hours and here I am. Fed, Morning Paged, and researched for a week of firing up a plan and feeling out the options. It helps me so much to start my day with self-care: writing three pages of long-hand dumps out the sh*t like an emotional chiropractic session adjusting me for any pretense (or most of them) before my internal editor is fully awake. Eating with care means I get some protein (oats and nettles) to refuel me first thing; and then I do my research (that's Scorpio Mercury me born to dig). The Internet is perfect for that part of me, and thanks to the help of our Expert Loved Ones you know who you are, we are upgraded and have support at the ready.

Support. Ready. That's key right there.

"...Mercury is moving into conjunction with Saturn all week. There’s plenty of time to consider, so don’t nail things down before you get all the angles covered. Even if pushed, ESPECIALLY if pushed.
The Capricorn Sun moves into conjunction with Pluto, exact early Friday. The order of the day intersects with an irresistable force. It can be just for the day, or it can set the course for a long time to come. Power imposes order on the individual somehow. It didn’t come about overnight, and it’s serious business. In cardinal earth, this change is happening, with or without you. You get to choose which..." - Satori
My notebook has handwritten notes to myself about this fresh week unfolding:

January, 2019

M 7 Firing up the plan; feel out options
T 8 (Ditto)
W 9 Self Care
Th 10 Timing, be gentle
Fri 11 Cap Sun conjuncts Pluto; Serious Business; act on personal time line; don't be forced/ or force; Feel what the options mean
Weekend of 'Ole (reconnoiter)

I've put these thoughts here to commit to our journey. The language of moving carries layers of meaning and we have baggage that needs sorting before we choose to carry it with us. If you are one of those folks we connect with or contact this week as we feel out options, I bless the conversations we are about to have. E Ho Mai, I ask for Ke Akua to lead the way with a broad and loving kindness as the main component to this new move. Help us determine what we need to know.

One last thing about this week. I'm working on a writing project that weaves old and new together. The old? Those are the stories and columns I wrote while Pete and I lived in Kuli'ou'ou in the home my brother David and I grew up in. Those stories are important. Tucked into the pages of an old newspaper those columns were read by an unknown audience for many years. This project I'm working on takes a couple dozens columns from then, and tacks on current life today. Have I moved ... forward or back?

Back to the future, or forward to the past. Either answer will do. What I worked on yesterday was a column written about my experience as a reader of the play "The Conversion of Ka'ahumanu." That play was written by my friend Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl in 1987. The column I wrote was in early 2000. Many years had passed between that first writing and the first reading of "The Conversion of Ka'ahumanu." Five characters, all women, tell the story of Hawaii's first experience with white missionaries. Three characters are Hawaiians. Two characters are Haole.

The conversion was that of a Hawaiian ali'i, the most powerful woman at the time in Hawaiian history making a decision to 1) eat with her son to break the ancient rules, the Kapu, and 2) convert to Christianity at a time when all peoples who were not White were thought of as 'less than human.' The theme of the play, and the reading of it was historic for my Ancestors, and myself personally.

As a factor in my current conditions preparing us to move, I fold in the lessons embedded in that project of writing; researching involved reading the clues and listening to this interview with Victoria Kneubuhl and consider the magic involved because ... these Internet connections are our kupuna saying, "Make the move. Adapt. Survive. Our stories are so worthwhile." I inhale the options. Exhale the potential. Wheww ....

Amama Ua Noa! ::paipai lima:: clap,clap:: The prayer is lifted!




3 comments:

  1. Mahalo for these new thought to nourish my day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're on our list ... for returning the blankets and bag, and for time to consider options. Will be in touch dear one. Mahalo to you! Mo'o and Pete

      Delete