Monday, January 22, 2018

Idle No More and the steam gathers

There is less wind on the prairie today. The sun is shining. The traffic roars. Earlier this morning the bird activity was abundant and though there is still gut pain there is something other as well. Slowly I receive responses to the blog post about fire in the belly. The drums cross the cyber winds. 

Whoosss ... Hayah .... Whoosss ...

I listen to the messages from my sister and learn what she is experiencing, "I will not cash the check, but acknowledge and honor the gift." She asks me to cast the writing gifts, the ones that sustain her more than money; the ones she can share with her family. 

Whooss ... Hayah ... Whooss ...

I read the message from my other sister and nod at the similarity in our responses to the belly giving us such screaming vocalizations. I tell her, "Yes, I know. What were we thinking? So many things at once, so many ways life travels at the same time." Knot-makers we. Knots that can be untangled when we slow, slow down, but are idle no more.

I reach across the oceans and ride Na Kai Ewalu leave a message, "I am at the water, watching waves, no ... watching gentle wind on the water on the easy side of the island. It's nice." We talk later, share time and stories on the easy side of the island; he plays his guitar; I listen. The knots untangle. We are idle no more.

A knock at the vardo door finds another sister, here to return things. We chat over the top of the laua'e stenciled French door and speak of things that need a voice. One of the advantages to living out in the open is being open to responding to the knocks.

Whoosss ... Hayah ... Whooss


Most Monday mornings, one of the most powerful and generous woman of mythic tales and teachings shares music from her eclectic bag of medicine. She, Terri Windling, is writer, editor, survivor of trauma and muse to many via her work, and her blog Myth & Moor. Today among her Monday offerings was a video with Native American activist and musician, Pura Fe. I followed the scent and found more music.

The two videos above feature Pura Fe with an ensemble of three other Native American musicians called Ulali. First, a drumming song climaxing in the shattering sound of women vocalizing the call to Be Idle No More; then a lullaby sung acapella. I wish to be rocked to music of their voices. The feel I get from Ulali singing and drumming is like spiders climbing my bones not a subtle sound at all but instead a gathering of steam, a directing of the fire in the belly ... the fire that demands to be idle no more. 

Whoosss ... Hayah .... Whoosss ...
All weekend long in cities, counties and states throughout the United States women have been marching. Women with so much fire and steam in their bellies, breasts, and bones. On the islands of my birth, where I can not be today the 125th Anniversary of the Overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom was celebrated. Celebrated in sync with the celebration of Queen Lili'uokalani's birthday.

The third and final video above is the mana'o of long-time Moloka'i-born activist Walter Ritte. Ritte's message is one of unity, because as he explained, the event "Onipa'a" means unity. I listen to his message, and hear a different sort of steam coming from him. He encourages patience in the process, ho'omanawanui, long time coming rewards, long time coming mana. It is what the Queen, Lili'uokalani chose when she directed her warriors to stand down from their intent to storm the castle and defend the nation from the wrong-doing. It was her long vision, her desire to see Hawaiians alive, vibrant, speaking the language she spoke with fluency rich in its nuances and implications long after she left her regal body.

The steam is gathering..

Ravens fly above me in the prairie. They watch me dance, encourage my mimicry. They chortle so I can hear their messages. We dance together. I dance with my Rogue leather shoes touching ground. They dance with shining wings spreading into the wind.

Directed, the fire in my belly feeds the story seeding itself in this small tale. The blog seeks flight, like Raven dancing.

Whoosss ... Hayah .... Whoosss ...



Pete and I are gathering steam 
for a Lunar New Moon Celebration 
on the Prairie Front 
for Chinese New Year, Sunday, February 18, 2018, at 1:00 P.M. 


We will tell story, 
give thanks,
share food, 
beat the pans 
and dance the land on this day. 
Stay tuned. Save the date! 
More information to come.


Whoosss ... Hayah .... Whoosss ...

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Here is an interesting interview:

    https://youtu.be/nKGNPz_84UM

    Eko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahalo nui, Eko-san for the wonderful interview with Pura Fe. And thank you for leaving a comment to add fuel to the belly fire, so needed, no needed now!! Love all ways, Mokihana

      Delete
  2. As I listened to the group's music, I pulled out your bamboo ....I do not know their name. Those that you used for hula that you gave me years ago,
    And I kept rhythm and thought of the drummers I followed on Saturday for the Womens' March in Oakland and reverberated with Idle No More from thousands a like mind and patient/impatient people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheww ... how nice to find your message (that keeps going into Spam, until I fish them out!!) The bamboo are called pu 'ili split bamboo. I had forgotten that you have them. It seems so right that you ought to keep time with them, keep the rhythm going being Idle No More.

      Much aloha, "Auntie E." xoxo

      Delete