Monday, February 11, 2019

We


The video that opens this post is a conversation with mother, teacher, writer, scholar, mentor to many, Robin Wall Kimmerer. When I was at a deep low point yesterday night, I came to the shared kitchen on the Prairie Front simmered a pot of oatmeal and nettles to help me adapt to the reality of the difficulty and found my Potawatomi sister speaking truth I needed to remember. It is about We, and has led me to a more hopeful place once again.

It has been a difficult time. The Elemental World has conspired to bring us a grand constriction -- challenges -- to test our flexibility and resiliency. We, I say with almost ironic, flippant inclusion, rankle with the limitations of snow binding us to our small spaces making it an even more time consuming activity to go from one place to another. But, these are small details, really. The fact I have warm socks, rubber boots, thick long underwear, mittens and a heavy coat are necessities; and I have them.





Earlier in the day when the sun was bright and the snow brilliant with the sparkle of crystals more than ankle deep, I walked the snow covered Prairie Front. One set of well-trod tracks led from the Golden Wagon where we sleep and hang out with one another, with our books, magazines, and electronics. The tracks led to the Chicken Coop. The tracks were Pete's, he cares for the three chickens; his name is not on the 'Chicken Care List.' His care is constant, simple, invisible, daily, common.

Under the warmth of the sun I took a beautiful and silent walk out to the entrance of the 11 acre stretch of land that has been the place we have come to know. The worn cedar gate was topped with a crest of white the slanted fences jaunty in their wintry angle.

"I've seen you before, and like that you wear lichen as well as snow so well." Truly that would have been an opening line if I had thought of it at the time. But I write it here, and imagine Cedar loving the compliment, nodding at how long a memory lasts teaching me in her constant, simple, invisible, daily, common ways.







I noticed the single delicate marks of a lean signature making its way across the covered gravel drive and out in front of Dorcas's hoop house. Deer has committed habits. Before I trek back to the kitchen and the wagon my head turns to check the high limbs of the apple tree. Four left. Still four. I hope Deer get them. But they must share with the Birds. There are far more Birds than Deer and the Winds or a stick we use to rattle the fruit loose are needed to turn the odds in the hoofed ones' favor.

 ****
Now there are two apples.

It has been a difficult time. Rattling inside my mind are the thoughts, and worries I promised to turn over to the Pig; the Pig whose Year it is. And me, being one of that Clan, ought to be resourceful and so in a ritual act I promised to turn worry over to the pig for 2019. Already, I have broken my promise to myself. I have been worrying.  I have been indulging in self-pity and resentments. We have yet to find a new home place, but the possibility that we could have a variety of places (more than one place and sources of reciprocity) has crossed my path ... leaving a lean signature ... an unexpected new next. A refashioned set of openings to the sound of our real and precious life.

Astrologically, Satori offers  a resource-filled outlook for the week which includes Valentine's Day on Thursday, February 14th:

"Monday the Taurus Moon sets the stage for a Valentine week with Moon trine Venus then Saturn, going on to sextile Neptune. Let belief and trust filter through tangible beauty and imagined ideals, simmering for satisfaction.

Tuesday the Moon trines Pluto and squares the Sun. It goes on to sextile Chiron. Faith and trust mean going deep here. Don’t let a little daily jangle undermine the good habits you’re laying down. “If you’re falling, dive.” Go with the earthy flow, slow and deep. Believe in the healing that’s happening below the surface...
 Wednesday, the Moon moves to Gemini and through a conjunction to Juno. From there it goes on to square the Mercury-Vesta conjunction in Pisces, all mutable. We need more options. We’re tied down and we’re feeling the need to branch out and investigate possible new additions to our sacred circle of self and connection to others. MORE! We’ve let our world get too small. If you’re feeling discomfort, consider more options. Don’t throw out the old, incorporate the new!.."
We are grateful, when we can lighten up and laugh at having to make adjustments, adapting to what is when the imagined doesn't fit, or doesn't come fast enough; or comes on a week of snowy waves. These are the 'Ole Moons, refining directions, making more adjustments, relaxing ... whew.

How goes your week just begun with a lovely Valentine waiting with your name on it real soon? Do you feel you're part of the We, or just apart?

xo Moki and Pete💝💝










No comments:

Post a Comment