Saturday, August 25, 2018

Mana'o 'Ulu

"We learned from our Fijian 'ohana that 'ulu trees that produce double fruit off of a single branch is a natural indicator of an upcoming year full of hurricanes." - Papahuli Lani, FB

I wrote Papahuli Lani and asked for permission to use that quote here. She said, "Sure. We don't really know if it's true. But we're going to find out."

That was a few days ago, and now? Hurricane Lane has been reclassified as a Tropical Storm now,  present in its many manifestations: Heavy rains and wind, but not hurricane force elementals.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the smell of smoke continues to fill the atmosphere, but the first rain is falling in a very long time.

The forest fires rage, and keep me mostly vardo-bound. This VOGMASK helps with the smoke and ash. It's not as good as a respirator, but the respirator I tried is mostly plastic and made me sick(er). I have 02 tanks of all sizes to help when breathing is difficult. Somethings I try don't work. Others do. Just like the message, or mana'o of the breadfruit.

I've been trying to write this piece for a week. It's been much longer, and then it changed. It was shorter and different, and then I accidently deleted it. This is what remains today.

The internal weather conditions have been much like the extreme cycles happening on the outside. Issues have stirred us up, questions with no clear solutions dangle.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - The Serenity Prayer
There's not much I can do to change the weather, immediately; or take sweeping action to affect the large and century's-long issues of things like "Race" or "Decolonizing" my internal clockworks. But, I can notice when those large issues affect my internal weather -- as it has been doing-- and let the courage to change me take place over time.

While that courage, the process of moving from thinking about those big issues, moves me toward my target there were Fava Beans to harvest before the rain comes and sets splotches and mold on the singular success of our first garden.

Pete was out in the Market area covering picnic tables and the stage in case we get more rain today and tomorrow morning.

These are some of the things we can do, so we did them.

The natural indicators that Papahuli Lani describes in the opening quote is one of many lessons Kalei Nu'uhiwa is teaching us through the work she and the group of Pacific Island practitioners, Hui 'Aimalama are committed to. The goal is to 'teach the masses.' Teach the masses to recognize the natural indicators of weather, plant growth, ocean growth, stars and planet positions, and most importantly the calendar of the Moon ... Hawaiian style. Kaulana Mahina, or the Hawaiian Moon Calendar is based on the tracking and noting of the phase of the moon from ones' place on the Earth. My place on Whidey Island, from the Prairie Front, is different than your place at the Clinton Ferry Landing. What you see (what shape the moon is) could very well be different than what I see here on the Prairie Front. We could each have a different moon calendar.

If we pay attention, keep track, our logging is specific to place. In Hawaiian, the word and the practice is Mauliauhonua. Human intimate with place. Like my practice and study of astrology, I keep at it; I'm a digger and try to make connections between one thing and another. Earlier this week Satori wrote about the planet Mercury's current path and its affect on how I might be thinking about my place on the Earth. Here's something that might make sense to you if you study astrology:

"... Mercury is direct and beginning to gain momentum this week. It doesn’t move far, but it’s the first step in getting back up to speed. While retrograde, Leo Mercury just sextiled Libra Venus and will do so again in early September, one degree past the shadow mark. Sweet!
It takes that long for great ideas and wishes to reframe themselves and find a foothold in daily life; as the Sun moves onto their first sextile midpoint in Virgo at that time. Being in service can bring about a wished for bounty of good ideas, connection, and compensation. Mark that the first four days of September..." - Satori
What's the weather (internal and/or external) like where you are, and how are you navigating?




1 comment:

  1. It's the 4th day of September, and this post went up to serve the labor. I kinda love the way that flowed. http://vardofortwo2.blogspot.com/2018/09/massaging-north-node-in-taurus-mine.html ...

    ReplyDelete