Monday, April 23, 2018

Organizing Chaos


Spider #1

One of my teachers is a great fan of chaos. I listened to her speak about Haumea, our major goddess of potential, and about spiders and their choice of web styles. I listened closely to prepare myself for the Earth Day blessing I'd been asked to do. It's not often I get to share the language and the adaptations of ceremony based on living Hawaiian culture where we are, far from the sands of birth, but not from from the womb. The womb, or the Haumea of my ancestral roots come with me -- in me. Through the innovations of the internet, I can watch and re-watch the application of traditions that can be translated where I am. Here on Whidbey Island in the Salish Sea, I listened to my teacher speak about organization within chaos. Oh how wise our kupuna in their humorous take on being flexible with the creation of the web of potential. 


Waiting to share the blessing and 'oli to create sacred space I sat in one of my favorite positions -- on the steps. These are the steps of the Bayview Community Center, Langley.
The group of people inside and the group outside were moving in chaos, looking for a place on the Peace Symbol chalked on the ground. The annual Peace picture had drawn people to the grassy knoll. The blessing and the 'oli needed to fit between the keynote address and picture-taking. A few tricks were needed to play and move people into the potential for creating sacred space.

I sounded ...
Clap, clap ... clap.
Clap, clap ... clap.
Clap, clap ... clap.

Then chanted ...
E ho mai.
E ho mai.
E ho mai.

Grant to me.
Grant to me.
Grant to me.



 Standing on Peace surprised to see we'd be photographed by a drone.

 The event moved like Haumea, Earth, plotting the potential for the sacred within the everyday.


Our friend, Prescott picture above, asked me to pinch-hit as the blessing person and I was able. Group gatherings are chancy experiments, but well-worth the possibility for being awesome. This one worked out, and I am grateful to keep spinning the web of potential ... from chaos.

Back at home, just this morning, I spotted a sweet sight out the windows of the vardo. Swallows have found a box for a nest. I'd wondered about their choice to stay on the Prairie Front. Last year they did not linger;this year they have made a different choice knowing there's no guarantee.

And then, I kept watching and saw Sparrow fly into the puka, the hole, in the box. No guarantees, or reservations about home ownership. Just a whole lot of faith to keep coming back.
Spider #2

Which of the spiders do you relate to? Are you a fan of chaos?





No comments:

Post a Comment